Sunday, October 26, 2014

Apprendre le français!

Everyone agrees that the best way to learn a foreign language is to be immersed in it. Our youngest daughter has that luxury by nature of going to a French public school every weekday; she's definitely progressing faster than the rest of us. Even though we can get by, our ministry is in an English context, so Greg and I find ourselves using our native tongue much more than French. We try to improve our language skills by learning in our spare time.

Sometimes this learning happens on the street, in real-life situations. My favorite phrase when interacting with the French is "J'essaie apprendre le français" -- "I'm trying to learn French." For some reason, this sentence seems to be the key to getting language help. I think it's because it shows humility and a desire to enter their world. Whatever the reason, I usually get special attention when I say this phrase, and I almost always learn something new. For example, the other day we had repair done on our balcony doors. After welcoming the workers, I used the magic sentence, and in a matter of seconds I was getting a vocabulary lesson on construction tools!

Besides these types of daily interactions, I also participate in conversation groups and a language exchange partnership (wherein I help someone with English and she helps me with French). I also use a variety of free language websites. In case some of you are also "d'apprendre le français" I'd like to offer reviews of the tools I've found to be most helpful. And please send me a comment if you have found other great websites!

Coffee Break French - this is an excellent podcast by RadioLingua. In short, 15-20 minute segments, French teacher Mark and his "student" Anna take beginners through the basics of the French language using a thematic, conversational approach. Every 10 lessons, Mark offers a quiz to review the material previously learned. The podcasts are free but extra written materials are available for purchase. I love Mark's teaching style. He mixes grammar and spelling rules in with the lessons, but the focus is becoming comfortable in conversation. He excels at demonstrating how to build on what you already know to be able to succeed even in unfamiliar situations. Some of the more advanced lessons provide realistic "radio-play" conversations that Mark breaks down one sentence at a time, explaining the nuances of the language as he goes. I give this an A+ for explaining "real" French in an entertaining way.

Apprendre le Français avec TV5 Monde  - One of France's TV stations teamed up with French university teachers to create this fun and effective language tool. Learners watch a short clip from a television program, and answer a series of comprehension and grammar questions. There are usually four or five sets of exercises for each clip, which forces you to watch the same clip over and over again. This is not a bad thing; as a matter of fact, I've found that with each subsequent viewing, I understand a little bit more every time. At the end of the lesson I usually watch the clip one final time while reading the transcript provided. The lessons are categorized by level: A1 & A2 for beginners, B1 & B2 for intermediate and advanced. This website gets an A- because while it's fantastic for listening comprehension, it doesn't offer much in the way of explanation.

DuoLingo - A friend told me about this one, and I do use it from time to time but find that it has a lot of problems. On the plus side, it helps you learn to spell French words and introduces new vocabulary. Also, it's game-like approach keeps it fun. However, the sentences they come up with are really stupid. "The small elephant has a red dress." Really? I would never find this to be useful in real life. Another huge problem is the audio. I think they used the google translate voice -- it's very mechanical and hard to understand. In French, correct pronunciation is vital, and this website doesn't help in that area at all. C+.

LiveMocha - This is a social networking website, and it can be a lot of fun. It's necessary to create an account to get started, because the goal is to interact with other language learners around the world. You earn points by providing feedback to English learners, and you redeem your points to "buy" language lessons. Each thematic lesson includes vocabulary, grammar, speaking, writing, and listening. You have the opportunity to record your voice during the speaking lessons and have your submission reviewed by a native French speaker (for enough points, you can even get feedback from a professional French instructor!) I give this a B because the lessons are written by a variety of coaches, and some of the lessons aren't as useful as others. Also, I seem to always get sucked into spending more time reviewing English submissions than working on my French!

So there you have it, a few places to get started on your language adventure. Comment below to suggest additional French resources. Thanks!



4 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your blog through Nancy Painter, whom I am friends with on FB. I have recently shifted to France from India and am pursuing a master's degree in business in Marseille. In Marseille I am part of ICCM which is a great church! I hope to do a PhD in France and EM Lyon is one of the schools I am applying to. If I get in, I will spend the next 4-5 years in Lyon!

    I found the resources you mentioned above very useful. One other very good source for learning French is youtube. Dozens of videos there but I find the ones from Imagiers very helpful for learning grammar rules and building vocabulary. I have used Duolingo in the past and find it okay.

    Thanks for your post. Will stay in touch.

    Many blessings!

    Roscoe Conan D'Souza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour! I hope you do come to Lyon, we will welcome you at ICCL in that event! You are right about YouTube. I just discovered "Comme Une Francaise" quite recently and find it to be very helpful. I'll check out the one you suggested. Merci beaucoup!

      Delete
  2. Hi Wende, I am thinking of moving to Lyon "essayer apprendre le francais" for a year, and was hoping I could ask you a few questions about my transition. The big question is where to learn the language. Can you recommend any schools or programs that have worked well? Thanks in advance for your help! Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, good luck with the move! I took classes at Alliance Francaise and Lyon Bleu. Both schools were about the same in content & approach, but Lyon Bleu had smaller class sizes and my teacher there was excellent, so I felt that it was worth the slightly higher price. Bon courage!

      Delete