Monday, June 17, 2013

Faux pas linguistiques

When I tell people I'm moving to France, the first question I usually get is, "Do you speak French?" I typically reply, "J'apprends le français" which means, "I am learning French." I have really struggled with learning the language but at the same time I find it fascinating, and even enjoyable. I'm using lots of different methods to study, and in a future post I'll review some of the tools and techniques that I've found to be most helpful.

Right before our first trip to Lyon, I checked out a Pimsleur "Learn French" CD from the library. At that time I knew absolutely NO French. I mean, zero! I think I probably knew how to ask "Parlez-vous français?" but I'd be at a loss if someone actually answered the question affirmatively! So, every night for the two weeks leading up to the trip, my husband and I listened to a lesson. As we tried to imitate the strange sounds coming from the CD, we laughed at each other (and ourselves) and shook our heads in dismay. I remember thinking, "I will NEVER get this language!" It was daunting, to say the least. However, some of it actually stuck. This particular CD was perfect for amateurs heading to France. It specialized in simple, realistic conversations that one might encounter in a French-speaking country, such as basic greetings, asking for directions, and ordering in a restaurant. I memorized some basic survival phrases for the trip, but I don't think I said much other than the obligatory "bonjour's" and "au revoir's."

Our second trip came just a few months later, this time with our entire family in tow. I had listened to several more CDs, having added Speak French with Michel Thomas to the mix. I carried a small notepad with an expanded list of survival phrases, and this time I felt slightly more self-assured. But my bubble burst quickly after making two significant (and funny) gaffes! The first one happened when we were dining with some English-speaking friends in their home. This family had been in France for more than 10 years, and were fluent French speakers. After dinner, a French neighbor of theirs rang the doorbell to ask to borrow something. We were introduced, and he of course asked me in French if I spoke the language. I was so excited that I understood him! I confidently answered a phrase I had practiced many times: "Je comprends un peu le français, mais je ne parle pas très bien." (I understand a little French, but I don't speak it very well). At least, that's what I intended to say! The man and my host both looked at me quizzically. The French man even looked a little mad! Embarrased, I told my host what I'd intended to say in English. She laughed and explained my error: because I'd been trying to show off, I ran the words together, trying to speak more quickly and sound more capable than I really was. So my "je ne parle pas" came out sounding like "je n'aime parler pas"-- in other words, "I don't like to speak French!" That night, I learned the importance of enunciating clearly! As a novice, I'm not expected to speak quickly, but I do need to practice correct pronunciation. Just a slight difference can prove to be significant!

The second mistake happened during a side trip to Paris. We were eating in a restaurant, and much to my kids' dismay, I tried to converse with the waiter in French, even though he was perfectly happy to speak with us in English. I carried a phrase book for travelers in my purse, and between courses I would flip through the book and look for something new to say. As we were finishing up our meal, the waiter came by and asked how we were enjoying our dinner. I sighed with satisfaction and said, "Le repas est très bon!" The waiter gave me a sideways shrug and raised his eyebrows in that quintessentially French expression of annoyance. "What did I say?" I asked. He said, "You said that it wasn't good." The kids tried to duck under the table. I wanted to disappear as well! Later I realized that I had stressed the "pas" part of "repas" (meal). "Pas" means "not." So my waiter heard "not" loud and clear, instead of the intended "REpas." Since then, I've switched to phrase that's less likely to cause confusion: "C'est délicieux!"

I know I will continue to make many, many "faux pas linguistiques." But although the errors are embarrassing at the time, they are an absolutely necessary part of language learning. If you don't make mistakes, you just aren't trying! One language advisor told me recently, "You will make one million mistakes when you learn a new language. So you better get started soon."

1 comment:

  1. I like this sentence: "If you don't make mistakes, you just aren't trying!" And this one: "You will make one million mistakes when you learn a new language. So you better get started soon."

    ReplyDelete