Thursday, June 6, 2013

Introduction

This summer, our family of four will be moving from small town America to Lyon, France. Our lifestyle will change in just about every way. We'll go from a quiet house in the suburbs to a tiny apartment in the heart of the city. Instead of driving 30 minutes to do our shopping, we'll hop on a bus or metro, or just walk to the nearest boulangerie. We'll trade Wal-Mart for the fresh farmer's market.

School will be a big change, too. Our two girls have been homeschooled, and we have supplemented their education with a classical program that meets one day a week outside of the home. Their class size with that program is about 8-12 students per grade. When we move to Lyon, they will go to a very large French public school (about 2000 students) that has an Anglophone department.

In Lyon, my husband and I will be involved in ministry with an International Christian faith community. Right now it's a small group of English-speaking ex-pats, students, and missionaries. We love this group of people; we've met many of them during our past visits to Lyon and can't wait to be with them full time.

We are really excited about this move, and yet we're also nervous, sad, scared, and exhausted. In this blog I hope to share some of the joys and struggles that we encounter on this journey of faith. I invite you to join me as I describe our family life, our ministry, and the beautiful city of Lyon.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just delete the names. And I will be following your posts as you move and get settled. Interestingly, I got a call yesterday from the woman I told you about, and we had dinner together last night and talked about Lyon. I think you will love it there. Many things are happening. Godspeed to all of you, and traveling mercies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison - I removed the first comment, but I still have the contact name and I looked at your daughter's wonderful blog. Thanks for your encouragement! We are getting more and more excited every day!

      Delete