Sunday, October 13, 2013

Giving Thanks Day 13: Laughter

Today I give thanks for the laughter I hear coming from the living room. Lori and Lindsey are giggling about something, probably a private joke that I'm not allowed to get in on. The girls, despite being five years apart in age, have always gotten along amazingly well. When they are together, usually there's quite a bit of laughter.

A few days ago, we played "Taboo," that game where you have to get your partner to guess a word without using that word or any of the five other related words on the card. Someone said something really funny during the game (I can't remember what it was), but I do remember that we all howled with laughter. It was one of my favorite nights this week.

I think it's really important to laugh often. It relieves stress, and helps you see the sunny side of life. Being able to laugh at myself has helped a lot with culture shock, too. If I can see the humor in my little "faux-pas" then they don't seem like a big deal. And it's true -- they aren't a big deal. So whenever I make a mistake with language or I miss some cultural cue, I just do my best to laugh it off.

They say laughter is the best medicine, and I agree. What are you laughing about today? Share it in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment