Thursday, October 24, 2013

Giving Thanks, Day 24: PRD

Our mission organization, ReachGlobal, places a strong emphasis on health. They believe that in order to have a healthy ministry, leaders must themselves be healthy individuals. As part of that commitment to mental and spiritual health, RG requires its missionaries to take a "personal retreat day," or "PRD" once a month. This is a time set aside for prayer, planning, and spiritual renewal. The parameters are flexible. Basically, the idea is to do whatever it takes to get away from the demands of daily life and ministry so that you can focus on what is truly important.

I've been practicing a monthly PRD for a few years now, and I can honestly say that it's one of the best habits I've ever started. Today was my PRD for October. I spent time walking along the streets of Lyon, praying for the city and our church. Then I went inside St. John's Cathedral and prayed some more. Afterwards, I sat in the blissfully warm sunshine with my journal and calendar, and did some strategic planning for the future.

It's very simple to set aside a day or even a half-day per month to do this. I recommend it to everyone, no matter what your job description entails. However, though it's simple, that doesn't mean it's easy. Many things and people place demands on our time. It's actually very hard to block off a period on the calendar for a PRD, and say "no" to other things -- good things -- that vie for our attention. It seems selfish. But from personal experience I can honestly say that it's one of the most unselfish things you can do. Every time I have a PRD, I come away with a greater sense of purpose, a more charitable spirit, and a fresh outlook on life. It's a time to hit the spiritual "reset" button and receive God's grace anew.

Thank you, God, for encouraging me today through my PRD!

Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Lyon

1 comment: