Friday, October 18, 2013

Giving Thanks, Day 18: 3 months in Lyon

Today marks three months since we arrived in Lyon. As I look back on the last 90 days, I'm thankful for so many things. It feels like cheating just to sum them all up in one post.

Although there's still an awful lot to learn, and many new things to adjust to, it truly does feel like Lyon is home. The apartment is taking on more and more of a personal touch with each simple addition: pictures placed on the mantle, books on the shelves, clothes hung up in the closets. The neighborhood, too, is becoming quite familiar. I remember that early on I had to consult a map each time I left the house. Now, I hardly ever have to look at it. And I'm even able to help other people with directions from time to time. (An aside here: it's hilarious how many times I get asked for directions. Greg says I have an approachable face. I don't exactly have a huge smile when I walk down the street, but nor do I scowl.)

Language acquisition can be another yardstick (or metre stick I should say) of success in a new culture. I have a long, long way to go with this. Yet I do see small glimpses of victory. Today, for example, I initiated a conversation with a woman on the bus, and we talked for about ten minutes, all in French. It was probably my longest and best conversation in the "real world,"aside from language school. But for every victory, there's also a defeat to keep me humble. Yesterday I rode in the elevator with one of the kids in our building. I hardly ever take the elevator, and meant to say that to the girl I was riding with: "I rarely take the elevator." But instead, I said, "I am not taking the elevator." While, mind you, I was actually taking the elevator. The elevator is tiny, but I think she managed to scoot several inches (centimetres) away from the obviously crazy lady next to her.

As you can see, a little self-directed humor goes a long way in remaining thankful for my days in Lyon. Sweet days, fun days, crazy days, exhausting days, silly days, weepy days, exciting days, tedious days, lovely days....I've seen all kinds of days in these first 90. I'm thankful for each and every one of them.

2 comments: