Sunday, October 6, 2013

Giving Thanks Day 6: 10K

Two years ago on a trip to Lyon, we stayed with a friend who lived right in the heart of the city.  On a Sunday morning we were awakened by a huge racket coming from the street below. Sundays are normally very calm and quiet in Lyon, so I looked out his 2nd story window to see what was going on. Lo and behold, a race was happening on the city street right below us! Who knew that two years later I'd be running in the same competition.


The "Run in Lyon" is held annually on the first Sunday in October, and there are marathon, semi-marathon, and 10K distances. I had been running short distances about 2-3 times a week, but didn't even consider entering the race until a friend of mine suggested we do the 10K together. Today was the big day, and I'm thankful to say that we finished the race without stopping to walk! It was very exciting -- there were around 20,000 entrants, and the sea of runners in front of us and behind us was massive. People stood along the riverbanks, cheering us on, which made the 6 mile run go by relatively quickly.

Today, I give thanks for legs that can run, and for my friend Wendy (Wendy-with-a-Y) who motivated me to enter the race.



1 comment: