Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Giving Thanks Day 2: My Daily Bread, part 1

One of my friends in America made her own bread from scratch every day. I'm lazy, so what's my solution for fresh bread? Move to France! Just about every morning, I walk to the boulangerie on the corner and buy a fresh baguette. I try to linger just a few moments, capturing the delicious smells wafting in from the back of the shop. Mmmmmm! Then I strut back home, feeling really "French" with my scarf wrapped around my neck and a baguette tucked under one arm. I carry the manna upstairs to my family, and we devour it instantly, topped with Bonne Maman confiture. If any bread remains later in the day, Lori finishes it off it accompanied by camembert or brie -- her favorite afternoon snack.


I'm thankful for my daily bread, and for the capable hands that bake it. My own hands may be lazy when it comes to baking bread, but I'm quite thankful that the only ingredients I need for a the perfect loaf are a two-minute walk, a cheerful "bonjour," and 90 centimes in my pocket. This recipe fills my stomach; tomorrow I'll give thanks for the Bread that fills my soul.

Lindsey enjoys another bakery treat: pain au chocolat

1 comment: